The story of the Taumarunui branch of Gough Gough & Hamer Ltd through the eyes of retired serviceman, Ken Anderson. Like most tradesmen Ken started his working life in various other locations. In 1951 he served his apprenticeship as a fitter and turner at Wanganui Engineering Works Ltd then a spell with NZ Railways where he was involved with the repair of earthmoving equipment that set him off on his eventual career.
He gained certifications in diesel mechanics at Kaingaroa then, in 1962, moved to Taumarunui as Service Foreman for Goughs where he spent ten years. It was during this decade that he began “poking around” the remains of old sawmill sites and machinery used in that industry.
The result of this “on-hands” research led him, many years later, to write up the history of Goughs involvement in the King Country with this well-illustrated 200 page book being the only works showing the development of Caterpillar tractors in the area.
A must have for every mechanically minded red-blooded male’s bookshelf.