It covers the entire span of the years of bush workings, tramline and mill operation from 1903 until the mill closed in 1966. Kens meticulous research and use of maps and photos produced a much sought after book and his initial print run soon sold out.
The fame of the magnificent tramway will soon be rekindled when The Timber Trail, Pureora – Ongarue cycle way and walk way opens, due late 2012.
The Department of Conservation has done a splendid job of restoring the tramways spiral and building replica viaducts. This book tells the story of the remarkable feat of the original construction and the timber extraction that followed.
Ken first published this comprehensive account of Ellis & Burnands Ongarue sawmilling operation in 2007. Since his death in 2008 his children have entrusted his work to Taumarunui & Districts Historical Society. We are delighted to present this reprint.